Friday 28 March 2014

Browns Bay

North of Auckland where Dave grew up

We were driven.  Yay!
Dave had to see his mother. So we just hing around waiting. The play area rapidly filled. Many parents and small children. Sarah and I reflected on the 9 month outdoor lifestyle here. It has its attractions certainly.... but its not home
The beach smelt of that salty seaweedy smell

Then I saw a lady kicking a ball for a dog.

"Thats a good kick"

'Ooh yes and then he just dribbles with it' (in a clear scottish accent)
The dog didnt actually touch the ball. So this 80 year old lady got a bit lost when I started talking about 'stepovers' ala chris waddle. However I thought she would have something to say and it would probably be interesting

Dorothy lives with her only daughter and her husband nearby and came over 5 years ago after her own husband died. She was a spirited and enthusiatic person whose scottish tones reminded me of various relatives that I used to know in my own childhood. She was a mental health nurse in Inverness for decades.

She goes out dancing with friends in the evenings and keeps the house tidy. One of her friends was a ten pound pom.  A very early settler. As her friends boat was near arrival most of the ship went down with measles so instead of arriving in the warm city up north the boat was diverted to a remote and cold place until they had all got better. The first few days on nz were not as her friend expected


Then we picked up the fixed tire.  For free. Then we got lunch to say thanks to dave. So for aunty Sheena here are some pics
Corn fritters
Shrooms
Then to Orewa bay
Then home at 3pm but not before stopping in a tv store whilst Sarah bought an ishuffle. I was watching the cartoon Rio on a big tv and an assistant came over

"Its a nice size"

He handed me the special glasses to stop the blurring

He didnt seem to be put off by my opening comment

" I think I should 'fess up now and tell you that this thing is too big and heavy for my 75 litre rucsac"

We then got into along and rambling conversation that included the demise of Jessops and Blockbuster and various price comparisons


Tommorrow to Honeymoon Valley
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment